Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I started a blog and the whole world cried...

I love to read and I love to write, so writing about the books I read seems like a good medium. I hated reading as a child. It wasn't until I was eight years old my third grade teacher read aloud to us "The Dollhouse Murders" by Betty Ren Wright. Changed my life. This was a horror story!

My favorite movie by the age of three was Poltergeist and I loved making up ghost stories and scaring the shit out of my friends. We would often roleplay a scenario where we were being haunted and one of us (always me) was sucked into another dimension and haunted them, causing bad things to happen to them. I remember one of my friends getting annoyed that it was always me who was sucked away and "the star."

So anyway, yeah, I spent third and fourth grade reading all of Betty Ren Wright's books that I could get ahold of. My favorites are still "The Dollhouse Murders," "Christina's Ghost," and "Ghost's Beneathe Our Feet." Then in fifth grade I discovered a amall section (one shelf, in fact) in our miniature school library that was devoted to books about ghosts, vampires, witches, horoscopes, the unexplained. (What were books like these doing in an elementary school that only went up to fifth grade, anyway?) I read every book on the shelf, warranting a session with my guidance couselor asking me how I was dealing with my father's death. Can't a girl just like ghost stories?

So yes, a love of reading was born. Someone said I should read Goosebumps since I loved scary stories so much. They bored me. Even at nine they completely bored me. The only ones I ever liked were Welcome to Deadhouse and Monster Blood 1&2. A year later a wise classmate of mine (who I actually remember his name. Ryan! I named a character after you, Ryan!) said I should read Fear Street. Fear Street? What's that? It's a book series revolving around that was cursed by the tainted blood of an evil family who's legacy of evil followed them for three hundred years (it especially haunts the street named for them). There's a cemetary on the street in the neighborhood, and people getting shoved off of cliffs, and poison! (wait, was there poison?) But anyway, all of my favorite things were wrapped up in a shiny covered book series that was called Fear Street.

I quickly read threw my library's entire Fear Street collection and I started roaming the Young Adult section. That's where I discoverd the other obsessions of my young life, Sweet Valley High, Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney. And I've now forgotten my point. But anyway, I like to read. Especially vampire books. ^_^

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is murderedmymuse. Loving your blog so far.

Which Betty Ren Wright book was the one where the main character had a mentally challenged sister, and went to stay at her aunt's house with a haunted dollhouse? Can't remember the name of it, but I liked it a lot.

Anonymous said...

I think that was The Dollhouse Murders but I'm not sure. I think I read that book as a kid.

Great blog. Love the SitA satire.

Anonymous said...

Here's the link The Dollhouse Murders on Amazon:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-Murders-Betty-Ren-Wright/dp/0590434616/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222816508&sr=8-2[/url]

Deathycat said...

Yeah, that was the Dollhouse Murders. I loved that book so much. I may have to do that one in the near future. ^_^

Fear Street said...

I can't wait to read more entries...

Sada said...

Please, PLEASE do The Dollhouse Murders. I frigging loved that book.